M-SOC

Track days

Gemlp82

So id like to get into track days. I do have a scoobie and love it to bits so dont want to risk it on a track day.

Somone has offered me a mazda mx5 for the job and im a novice and wondered if there was any advice just turn up give it a go, join a club if there are any, have lessons? Best place to start. 

Thank you 

The track days I've done (mostly with Javelin ) tend to have an instructor which you book on a first come first served basis. 

Have you been on a track at all as a passenger?  I'd suggest that first and perhaps attend a drivers briefing just to hear what's expected. Javelins web site have a few tips for car prep too @Gemlp82

I just dipped in and went straight on ! Years ago now though, but as Arthur says a lot of the main players give you 10-20 minute instruction session on the day with an option to buy more if you want to. Probably better to go on Session trackday where you can choose a beginner, intermediate or expert slot each hour (20 mins) than a full open pit day off the back until you have some experience.

another option is to book track time at Curborough in July, where you are on track on your own for each single run, where you can go at your own pace and ask someone to go round with you, get some passenger laps with the more experienced guys. Not quite the same as a trackway at a large circuit, but will give you some experience at taking lines, cornering and braking 

Hope that helps 

Steve 

• 4 weeks later...