M-SOC

the M1 and speed cameras

Big Shrek

so i went to scoobyclinic yesterday from hinckley on the m1 up to junction 29 and by god it was a ball-ache.

50mph zones and loads of the white lines indicating speed cameras etc

now i dont drive like a loon by any means but there was times i strayed above 70 (maybe 80-85 tops) and it was all in keeping up with the rest of the traffic, i was finding it hard to stay at 50 in the 50 zone as everyone kept coming past me so either they know something i dont or they really dont care about getting a ticket.

after the 50 zones were the national limit zones but with the white distance lines that speed cameras use, again if i were to stat at 70 i would pretty much just get in the way of everyone.

should i now be expecting a speeding ticket through the post or are they all decoy's.

I had this issue with this a few months ago! They are a new type of speed camera and they are located right on the ends of the electronic boards that display the speeds! If you are going above the speed zone they display they can flash you! I have seen the cameras flash people doing above the actual designated limit. But if everyone else was going above the limit they may have been turned off....I will try and find a link to the info about them.....

Always worth checking your Speedo with a gps app. They always read high unless you are running bigger diameter wheels. Don’t do it once though do it on different days as you can get the odd day when there aren’t many satellites which gives erratic numbers. 

The next thing to remember is you are allowed 10% on the speed limit to allow the manufacturers some tolerance. So at 70 the camera will definitely not trigger unti 77. Hence 33 in 30 zone. Some areas allow another 1 or 2 mph on top. So with a speedo reading low you can often be fine at it reading 80mph in 70 zone. My classic is fine at 82. The wife’s M140i is almost bang on so I stick to 77. 

As said above on M1 the cameras are on the side of some of the matrix gantries. 

Kev might be be able to give an accurate speed reading on the dyno to work out your % error on speedo reading. Worth asking if you run it again. 

1 hour ago, terzoscooby said:

Always worth checking your Speedo with a gps app. They always read high unless you are running bigger diameter wheels. Don’t do it once though do it on different days as you can get the odd day when there aren’t many satellites which gives erratic numbers. 

The next thing to remember is you are allowed 10% on the speed limit to allow the manufacturers some tolerance. So at 70 the camera will definitely not trigger unti 77. Hence 33 in 30 zone. Some areas allow another 1 or 2 mph on top. So with a speedo reading low you can often be fine at it reading 80mph in 70 zone. My classic is fine at 82. The wife’s M140i is almost bang on so I stick to 77. 

As said above on M1 the cameras are on the side of some of the matrix gantries. 

Kev might be be able to give an accurate speed reading on the dyno to work out your % error on speedo reading. Worth asking if you run it again. 

I think the whole 10% thing is a myth to be honest

Hi mate,

the new Speed Cameras on the smart motorways are known as HADECS3, they are mounted to the side of the gantry and cover all 4 lanes of the carrigeway, now rule of thumb although this could change at any time dependent on the local constabulary is as long as the Message Sign on the gantry is off you will not get flashed, However if it shows the national speed limit on the gantry I wouldnt risk going above the national limit. The reason for this is the way the cameras work same as if it shows 50 and you stray above 50, they will get you, same rule applys for when the national speed limit is displayed.

15 minutes ago, shepbomb said:

Hi mate,

the new Speed Cameras on the smart motorways are known as HADECS3, they are mounted to the side of the gantry and cover all 4 lanes of the carrigeway, now rule of thumb although this could change at any time dependent on the local constabulary is as long as the Message Sign on the gantry is off you will not get flashed, However if it shows the national speed limit on the gantry I wouldnt risk going above the national limit. The reason for this is the way the cameras work same as if it shows 50 and you stray above 50, they will get you, same rule applys for when the national speed limit is displayed.

i just felt like i was getting in the way as everybody else seemed to not really bother about it. if i get a ticket then so be it