M-SOC

hi new ish member

Hi guys and girls old member but never really used my old account as lost password anyway im back using a new account ? need help what coolant do i need in a 2001 bug been told should be red?  Currently have blue and rads popped been told this is very bad for the car? Any gurus please? 

Hi welcome back, I think the main  difference in colour is down to what temp it is designed to run at / freeze at.(I'm sure someone will correct me if im wrong as guru I am not) hope you get it sorted, rads are pretty easy to swap. When you say "popped" what happened? 

Well about a year ago the top of the rad split were the plastic crimps onto the fins so had it replaced then saturday on the rolling road day my car decided to take a wee on kevs rr oops to be fair had noticed a small loss of water before that but never found wet patchs or  any visable signs till then, but lads there were fab tho had it up on ramp its the bottom crimp/ plastic part this time, also highlighted more serious issues both rocker gaskets gone the joys. Only asked because i might tackle the rad myself as dont fancy driving to clinic and burning her out and theres no way in hell the local "expert" garage are having it again 

The rads a pretty easy change. The truck is making sure the coolant system is bled on refilling 

I'm sure @The Gaffer will be along to advise on coolant types. 

The he rocker gaskets are more tricky. Fiddly with the engine in, but the advise is to change rocker cover washers as well as the seals at the same time. I don't think the kits are too expensive for this, but better to get the lads to change them if you are unsure :thumb: