M-SOC

question regarding planning permission/garage etc

Big Shrek

at the minute me and the mrs are renting and we have been for many years and to be honest we are sick of it so we are looking to buy our 1st house.in our price range there are no houses with a garage and a garage is a must as thats where i do my weight training.

we cant go to the expense of building one so i was wondering if i were to buy one of them pre-fab concrete panel garages would i need to get planning permission etc and would i need to get the base inspected?

i really want to take my strongman training to the next level as i would like to compete in a year or so in local comps and without a large garage its going to be very hard to do it.also as those that know me im very tall so a flat roof garage isnt really an option

any ideas guys?

my ideal size garage would be around 20ft long x 14ft wide x over 7ft high

Alright big man my cousin has 2 of these in his back garden as he needs places to store his work stuff.i am 99 percent sure you will not need permission as I helped with the bases as I worked for him at the time an we never had an inspector before we did the pour.i will see him in the pub Wednesday he is a builder so I will ask him for you an get a defiant ansewer for ya.hope this helps

Alright big man my cousin has 2 of these in his back garden as he needs places to store his work stuff.i am 99 percent sure you will not need permission as I helped with the bases as I worked for him at the time an we never had an inspector before we did the pour.i will see him in the pub Wednesday he is a builder so I will ask him for you an get a defiant ansewer for ya.hope this helps

yeah that would be great thanks,what thickness did you do the base at?

where did he get his garages from?

cheers

We dug out 300 mm then then 6 inch of mot an 6 inch of contrete.but if u are doing dead lifts an the impact on the floor I wud go 4 an 8.or Ask for a price on fibres in the concrete.i will be back in touch with the defiant ansewers.anything else you can think of just put it down an I will find out all for you wed

We dug out 300 mm then then 6 inch of mot an 6 inch of contrete.but if u are doing dead lifts an the impact on the floor I wud go 4 an 8.or Ask for a price on fibres in the concrete.i will be back in touch with the defiant ansewers.anything else you can think of just put it down an I will find out all for you wed

i can get steel/non steel fibres from work as i work at a concrete production facility.

yeah will be doing deadlifts and along 1 side of the garage will be some atlas stones so yeah will need a good thick base

You probably lift a fair weight as well if its competition stuff..if you work with concrete I would get fibres an think about mesh if you can get it.i will be in touch after wed with the ansewers you are after

I am only dead lifting 250kg at the minute but I will be going alot heavier than that in the future.i can get mesh or steel rods cut to length from work no problems

Alright mate,spoke with me cousin last night.he did no have planning permission or building regs on either of his.As for ya pad if you can get fibres or mesh then do it.it will be a lot stronger an take the impact of big weights more an last a lot longer

ok mate cheers for the help

Did this last year (moved and built a new pre-fab garage)

All the info you need is on the planning portal. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/

But there are essentially a couple of conditions (assuming your house isn't listed or in an area with any other special conditions). These conditions relate to the overall area of the building being constructed being no more than a certain size relative to the size of the land, being positioned behind the front elevation of the house, and no taller than 2.5m.

Go here for all the details http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

All conditions being met, you can go ahead under permitted development rights and you do not need planning permission. What you can also do(which we did for the extension to the house - but not for the garage) was apply for a certificate of lawful development. This is like making a planning application (but cheaper), and gives you written confirmation that you do not need planning permission. We did this for the extension even though it was within permitted development rights, as our last 2 houses the owners could not produce documentation to prove that the modifications to this house were done in compliance with building regs of the time, or had any necessary planning permission, so we ended up needing to have an insurance policy to protect us in the event of someone from the council rocking up and saying pull it down.. Having the CLD proves you have permission - without having permission - if you see what I mean :-)