M-SOC

2011 new MOT rules

hendo

2011 VOSA changes to MOT

Still 13 months away until these new regulations come into force, but some interesting changes. From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.

2011 VOSA changes to MOT

Still 13 months away until these new regulations come into force, but some interesting changes. From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon's. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

Chipped ECU's - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU's will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.

depends what it means by a chipped ECU , does it refer to the aftermarket chips you can buy and fit yourself Like Superchips, or does it include Remapped Ecu's , if so then what about the limited editions like prodive's , WR1 and litchfields that have been fitted since new

interesting....

bit unsure how the backstreet mot garage can check if your car is mapped....lets just hope he cant.again cant see why having a mapped car would make it unsafe to drive....

interesting....

bit unsure how the backstreet mot garage can check if your car is mapped....lets just hope he cant.again cant see why having a mapped car would make it unsafe to drive....

i know what you mean, i took mine to a Formula One Auto Centre which is quite big and they didn,t even have a rolling road brake tester that could do a 4wd car so all they did was a visual check !!

HID kit, i havent got one

chipped ecu-dropped it on the floor one but quite damage free lol

wiring harness/loom- Il go heavy on the insulating tape before it goes in lol

Airbags-your having a giraffe its an 95 import with a nardi :iagree:

i know what you mean, i took mine to a Formula One Auto Centre which is quite big and they didn,t even have a rolling road brake tester that could do a 4wd car so all they did was a visual check !!

that is actually legal though mate as you might be surprised at the amount of garages without 4 wheel testers , more than ya think

all MOT stations are ment to have a decelerometer, ie go on a test drive get up to 30mph and slam the anchors on, the decelerometer with give you a score from 0 to 100. 70 and above is a pass!!!!!!

if they didn't do it it's because they couldn't be arsed.

No matter what changes are due my customers will always be looked after :laugh:

all MOT stations are ment to have a decelerometer, ie go on a test drive get up to 30mph and slam the anchors on, the decelerometer with give you a score from 0 to 100. 70 and above is a pass!!!!!!

if they didn't do it it's because they couldn't be arsed.

No matter what changes are due my customers will always be looked after :laugh:

much love mr shakey :laugh::wacko:

what do the proper 4wd brake testers look like as with my last test it was on the normal brake tester and when i asked them is it OK to put it on there they said ye its been done to do 4wd cars.

f**k it, just don't get an mot :) .....joking :)

i'm sure there will be some exceptions for cars without certain technology.

As for the ecu thing, if they mean a remap surely remapped cars are better if it's been modified as they run better??

Archived