M-SOC

the law and blocking peoples drive-ways

Big Shrek

been having a discussion at work and i wonder if any body else knows the REAL answer.

is blocking sombodies drive-way a crime? ie if somebody parks across your drive either blocking you in or out can you expect help from the police?

can you get it removed?

few lads seem to think that if it has tax on it and they are on the road then the police wont help you.

other people think that if you have a drop-curb then they are breaking the law.

can an insurance company refuse to pay out if you state your car is parked on a drive-way overnight but somebody blocks you in and you have to park on the street and your car is stolen?

thoughts please......

I believe you will find the answer in the high way code

I'm fairly certain that it is illegal to park in front of a dropped curb, but you would need to check the above. I think you can ask for the car to be towed away by the police, but not 100% sure

Hi,

many years ago in my youth I did park in front of someone’s drive I didn’t even manage to lock my door when a police officer spotted me and asked me if I intended leaving my car there, I replied "only for a few minutes as I am going to the shop just up there" pointing, he replied "no you are not, do you realise that blocking someone's drive is an offence sir", I didn’t but it all made sense once pointed out to me, I was just 17 at the time, young and green but I never forgot it.

Wonder what would happen today though, would the police man even bother to stop and advise, most likely NOT.

Cheers

kev

Hi,

many years ago in my youth I did park in front of someone’s drive I didn’t even manage to lock my door when a police officer spotted me and asked me if I intended leaving my car there, I replied "only for a few minutes as I am going to the shop just up there" pointing, he replied "no you are not, do you realise that blocking someone's drive is an offence sir", I didn’t but it all made sense once pointed out to me, I was just 17 at the time, young and green but I never forgot it.

Wonder what would happen today though, would the police man even bother to stop and advise, most likely NOT.

Cheers

kev

it doesnt generate any income so they probably wont bother

Hi,

very true, when I was young my dad got a ticket for leaving his car facing the wrong way on a side street, now travelling home a certain Saxo is always parked on a blind bend facing the wrong way, its been there for the last two years and no ticket,

In fact a cop car stopped in front of it to let me through the other night, yet its still there, facing the wrong way on a blind bend, no lights on or even the old fashioned parking lights we used to be forced to use hanging from the window, the ones that flattened the battery over night,

Nowadays an led version wouldn’t flatten the battery yet no one is forced to use them and the police cannot be bothered to "police" it.

Like you say, no real revenue, easier to catch us doing 35 MPH in a 30 and fine us.

Cheers

kev

I was blocked in once.

Rang the council who sent a police officer round who tried searching for the owner to be contacted, if the owner couldn't be contacted, he as going to arrange for it to be towed.

30 mins later the owner came back and just got away with a firm telling off.

(it was a woman too :p)

Edited by -Stealth-

How strange is life and coincidences

Today i came home from doing a bit of shopping and found a van with a trailer parked across the drive to the house,

now, i've lived in this house for over 21 yrs. and this is the first time somebody has parked in front of the drive.

The lad who was working across the road came over and asked if I wanted him to move? but I said it was allright as I was going back out again a while later.

As I said

How strange?