M-SOC

Impreza Sti Type UK 2.5

iainwrx

Hi, Im weighing up my options on whether to sell my current car and upgrade to a Spec C or to go for a fully forged rebuild which I'm currently awaiting a quote back on.

The car has a shade under 61k on the clock with full Main Dealer , and since my ownership Roger Clark Motorsport history .

This year in March it had brand new BC coilovers as well as new cambelt, aux belts and diff and gearbox oils (the main service ) MoT runs out in March .

Alloys are as new with no scuffs or marks .The car is relatively standard except for the coilovers mentioned fitted this year and an emissions pump delete kit. I am the second owner, the first was a lady owner and registered new in Mansfield, I have owned it for 4 and a half years. I have all receipts and bills, including some of the original dealership materials and sales brochure. Car has 2 keys also.car is HPI clear and has no accident or panel damage.

Now to the bad points:

Bonnet could do with paint freshen up but is only cosmetic not panel , rest of body is straight and paint is above average condition.

Car has recently had new Mishimoto triple core radiator after original blew, unfortunately since car has since been showing signs of purging coolant into the reservoir particularly under boost so I suspect combustion gases are leaking into the water jacket (a fairly common fault with 2.5's) As I mentioned I am waiting for a callback to check for head gasket issues and a fully forged rebuild with extra power as well as sorting out the cosmetics on the bonnet, but in the meantime the possibility of buying a Spec C has appeared so I'm testing the water to see what path to take. I'm open to reasonable offers reflecting the cost to put right to a potential new owner.

Anyway if you want to ask questions feel free. More photos will be uploaded, just I'm doing it on my phone at the moment so will add more when I'm at home.

Iain

Well at first I was just thinking full rebuild with more power but in the meantime a Spec C comes up which leaves me torn . So its the grunt and pull of a properly sorted 2.5 or a Spec C and I kind of want a roof flap in my life.

Well at first I was just thinking full rebuild with more power but in the meantime a Spec C comes up which leaves me torn . So its the grunt and pull of a properly sorted 2.5 or a Spec C and I kind of want a roof flap in my life.

Go and drive one that's pretty much standard and you'll realise how good they are Ian :thumb:

Should be viewing the car in question on Sunday. So looking forward to it as I'm aware of their reputation for being a totally different animal versus the UK cars.

Can you get a picture of the VIN plate in advance ?

Can you get a picture of the VIN plate in advance ?

I know the owner of the vehicle through RCM , so if you mean is it a genuine one? Then yes I cant see any issues. This is what has swerved me a bit from just a high spec rebuild as I know of the car already so does Olly. At this moment in time I'm awaiting a call from Olly for the quote for the work I've asked to be done, or his opinion on just going with this Spec C which they have maintained anyway. Basically the jdm v properly built 2.5 resolving the OEM weaknesses debate.

I will have to have a look and let you know. To be fair your recent purchase had got me thinking about a Spec C and dreaming of ownership

My advice is make sure you know what you are buying regardless of where it's coming from and who says what

Get the VIN so I can check it for you. That way you'll know exactly what the car should or shouldnt have :thumb:

That's a big decision to make;-)

My UK 2.5 oil pick up killed mine! I've had it built and I'm chuffed with it.......

Steve is it chalk and cheese between the two??? I'm aware of the differences but have never been in a white spec c if you know what I mean ?

Fez ?

I've never had a uk 2.5 , but I have had an 03 uk STI which is lethargic compared to a Spec C

Happy to take you out in it once the Miltek has been fitted and the race dynamix map has been replaced with a Pat Herbourn map :)

I do love the lower down grunt and almost instant boost of the 2.5. It's obviously just the inherent problems with the standard internals can give you a bit of a love/ hate relationship. But from what I understand a sorted version done properly takes away all the issues and gives you that huge torque. But I do miss the 2.0 litre as well. A Spec C or ultimately an RA-R would do nice.

Good luck finding an RA-R . Been there, tried to find a good one and it's like trying to find rocking horse poo

Having said that if the one I know about in the uk that was imported to the uk as new, I'd buy that as well :)

Possibly yes , with the better the devil you know reference. Some of the concerns is the build time for the engine I'm told would be approx 4 weeks, and I'm still awaiting a proper quote for price and when the work can be started. I was expecting at least a 10-12k build for a forged engine with some more power. But in the meantime I've been browsing what I could change to. The Spec C is more money but I would still have this car to either sort at a later time or sell now or in the near future and get some money back from buying a new car. It doesn't help the missus is due to have our second baby in 8 weeks and although we can manage just about with 1 car, having a second car (running properly ) helps out at times.

There's an RA-R for sale from Hurst Cars . 67,000 miles for about £25k. I saw the auction sheet and it was a bit rough around the edges at grade 3.5 and guide price of 15k, which to me makes it sound a bit ropey. Can't see on the photos whether he's ploughed a lot of cash into getting the car up to standard or he's being a bit bit cheeky on price.

The RA-R is well documented you are on about. Why do you think I didn't buy it. Too many original parts missing, like the original exhaust ! Way over priced priced . There is a better one at ICP, grade 4 which I turned down at auction . The last decent grade and mileage car was last December , grade 4.5 which would have landed at around 22K through Tom at Brave autos

Yeah I do keep an eye on the auction lists and as I was an RA-R thought I'd check out the sheet and turned out it looked a bit of a dog. Then about a month later it's over in the UK with an extra 10k added onto the guide price. Just goes to show just because it's from Japan doesn't mean it wasn't a dog.

The RA-R is well documented you are on about. Why do you think I didn't buy it. Too many original parts missing, like the original exhaust ! Way over priced priced . There is a better one at ICP, grade 4 which I turned down at auction . The last decent grade and mileage car was last December , grade 4.5 which would have landed at around 22K through Tom at Brave autos

can't beat a car with a dodgy after market exhaust fitted can you steve ;) lol

can't beat a car with a dodgy after market exhaust fitted can you steve ;) lol

Not dodgy, just a poor fit, but the Miktek will sort that !

Ian, if you are spending that much on a forged build, I reckon you would be better going for a stronger block. Go 2.33 with an EJ22 block. Much stronger option :thumb:

2.35 (2.2 converted) will be stronger but mega money, 2.5 cdb will be fine at 500 have loads of low down grunt and be considerably cheaper.

IMAG0252_zpsdfwbruia.jpg

my block on the left which clinic have now built and is in my type r sat on my drive :D

project thread int he subaru build section if you want a nosey mate

What sort of power you ultimately aiming for ? What sort of costs are involved ? As to be honest on my last Subaru I only really did induction and exhaust type bits, that got stolen , then I had my first child so up to this point engine building has been a bit of a distant dream having to put family first. Now with facing this issue, it seems madness that it if keep the car and have it repaired not to make use of the engine being out in bits not to out shiny shiny back in. I had in my head to rebuild the car a fast road spec of 400-450bhp but certainly an engine that wouldn't be at the upper end of its limits at that and pushing the components to the test.

Hi,

we like to cap the 2.5 engines at 450 BHP allthough with our CDB mod they are good for over 500 BHP but always best to have a bit of headroom.

Cost wise there are many other things to consider such as the all important engine management, the O/E ecu isnt up to it as its air flow meter based whereas the speed density based syvecs is the one for the job as it deals with the fly by wire throttle and doesnt need an airflow meter.

I can offer to cost this job if you like but I dont want to tread on RCMS's toes as we work very closely with Olly and the boys down there.

Let me know if we can be of help, certainly there is no better 450 BHP{ turbo on the market than our SC46 billet with its 33% lighter billet aero compressor wheel.

Kev