M-SOC

The car scene...

Damo

Is it just me or is the car scene a dying thing...? 

Came to my first msoc meet for a few years in june to find 2 cars on the car park, cars in the park in Lichfield was dead on the saturday. Me, @Donna2088 and one blue blob were the only Subaru's in sight..

Whats peoples take, is the scene dying as a whole or diversifying into specific events like Japfest, Ford Fair etc?

5 minutes ago, Damo said:

Came to my first msoc meet for a few years in june to find 2 cars on the car park, cars in the park in Lichfield was dead on the saturday. Me, @Donna2088 and one blue blob were the only Subaru's in sight..

Whats peoples take, is the scene dying as a whole or diversifying into specific events like Japfest, Ford Fair etc?

I would say that shows like Japfest are dying. The current dribble dished up by Keksey Media is appalling compared to a few years ago and hence why I've strayed away from them . 

The M-SOC Monthly meet does need a kick up the backside, but that also relies on members attending. Easy to plan in your diary as it's always on the first Sunday of the month

Rally Day is has been a well attended event by club members as it is again this year, with strong emphasis on the evening before with a great social. You should try it 

I honestly prefer our own yearly club event at Curborough. Again well attended and lots to see and do. Plus it's all in OUR control and is a fraction of the cost of attending the dull Japanese shows where the organisers just want your money with little or nothing in return 

ok the Euro Tour isn't the cheapest to do, but those that have been have commented on it being a memorable experience. Maybe we should try a UK based tour to keep costs down a bit in the future 

if you look closely, the club does get invited to one or two more exclusive events. Did you see the 20 year celebration of Group A Imprezas at Prodrive ? Another very well attended event with 20+ rare Group A cars together ? 

The list goes on, so my advice is to stop getting drawn into the so called 'big' static shows and have a look around you to see what is happening elsewhere 

See you at Curborough next Sunday @Damo ????

cheers 

Steve 

Hi,

it is true the scene has changed, even down to what we named "scooby Saturdays" where I would fetch a dozen or so freshly made pork pies and order £30.00 to £40.00 quids worth of butties from "Linda’s sandwich shop" for M-Sco members and other people just out for a drive in their performance cars who popped in to say hello and have a look around, now the Linda's order is never big enough for them to deliver.

I noticed it myself last night that its no longer fun to have a performance car, I left the clinic at 6.00 PM and drove to see my mother, normally a nice drive but turning off the royal oak roundabout to find massive ramps been cut into the road, full of grit and debris from where the machine had cut these holes, only maybe 4" deep but all the way across the road and at least 15ft long, got over one to find a load of grit, sand and dust spread across the road form a building site entrance that no one had bothered to clear up, car gets pebble dashed then further on its now clear what the first cut across the road is for, great big raised speed humps,. it wasn’t a fast or dangerous road as it is a built up area, but it was pleasant and opened out into a stretch of country road which was the fun bit but not any more because I will avoid going that way in the future.

On the way back I decided to go the Clay Cross way, that was gridlocked, got to what’s known as Tupton roundabout and ran over a wheel trim in the middle of the road, then onwards down derby road to find a burst water main with the road drenched and the lorry in front gave my car a drowning in muddy water after I had just spent a few hours at work cleaning and polishing the car, complete waste of time and one lousy drive home.

Times have changed, to many speed humps, speed cameras and all manner of fun spoiling additions to our roads so its no surprise that people are not using their pride and joy, in fact many who do pop up for a chat turn up in their second car as they are using their performance car less and less due to the above mentioned issues with the UK roads and now the wages linked speeding fines.........

Kev

I recently attended japfest and it was a steady event to say the least and a lot of the cars in the event were nothing to rave about! 

I loved curborough last year and am throughly looking forward to next sunday! I think these days some performance cars are so cheap and a lot of poor examples seem to be classed as rare classics and make it onto show stands! ? 

Japfest was my first big show for a long time and it shows how much times have changed! 

I personally will attend msoc events as they are well organised by genuine subaru owners! ....There are a few other events and meets but again you may find the wrong type of people of there. I attended one last year and lets just say as soon as I smelled cannabis I was heading home within minutes! 

The msoc meets have genuine enthusiastic owners and not fools who want to just rev their cars and boast big bhp figures. 

Im not sure if anyone heard about mfn last week....two incidents occurred and it's a shame as it casts a shadow on genuine car enthusiasts! Again it wasn't the organisers but ill minded fools who ruin it for everyone! 

I think I would much rather attend one off events than attend lots of meets and shows and be dissapointed! 

M soc all the way for me! 

7 hours ago, The Gaffer said:

Hi,

it is true the scene has changed, even down to what we named "scooby Saturdays" where I would fetch a dozen or so freshly made pork pies and order £30.00 to £40.00 quids worth of butties from "Linda’s sandwich shop" for M-Sco members and other people just out for a drive in their performance cars who popped in to say hello and have a look around, now the Linda's order is never big enough for them to deliver.

I noticed it myself last night that its no longer fun to have a performance car, I left the clinic at 6.00 PM and drove to see my mother, normally a nice drive but turning off the royal oak roundabout to find massive ramps been cut into the road, full of grit and debris from where the machine had cut these holes, only maybe 4" deep but all the way across the road and at least 15ft long, got over one to find a load of grit, sand and dust spread across the road form a building site entrance that no one had bothered to clear up, car gets pebble dashed then further on its now clear what the first cut across the road is for, great big raised speed humps,. it wasn’t a fast or dangerous road as it is a built up area, but it was pleasant and opened out into a stretch of country road which was the fun bit but not any more because I will avoid going that way in the future.

On the way back I decided to go the Clay Cross way, that was gridlocked, got to what’s known as Tupton roundabout and ran over a wheel trim in the middle of the road, then onwards down derby road to find a burst water main with the road drenched and the lorry in front gave my car a drowning in muddy water after I had just spent a few hours at work cleaning and polishing the car, complete waste of time and one lousy drive home.

Times have changed, to many speed humps, speed cameras and all manner of fun spoiling additions to our roads so its no surprise that people are not using their pride and joy, in fact many who do pop up for a chat turn up in their second car as they are using their performance car less and less due to the above mentioned issues with the UK roads and now the wages linked speeding fines.........

Kev

+1 for the above and when vehicle manufactures sell cars on performance figures the mind boggles and the speed humps have ripped my car too bits even as i try to go slow over them.WHERE IS THE BRITISH JOY IN A LOUD PETROL CAR DRIVEN ENTHUSIASTICALLY GONE?.

It's becoming more and more difficult to find good looked after exmaples of cars and the right owners to associate with. As I stated above I attended a car meet....not an msoc one and just didn't want to stay due to the atmosphere not feeling right and people smoking cannabis. Some subaru's and other turbo performance cars are easily picked up for next to nothing now and it amazes me how some of these cars are "dressed" or "toughted" as rare classics or collectors cars! I'm no major expert when it comes to cars but I'm sensible enough to know what models of Subaru's are worth every penny and what one's are over-priced, being sold as they have been modified poorly or going dirt cheap, boasting big BHP as someone has had their fun and wants to shift it as it's needs minor TLC......hmmm!!!??? :huh:

I was truly amazed at Japfest as some of the cars on show just looked like daily drivers!? I was expecting to see some out of this world amazing examples but bar a few there wasn't many at all !!

The news from MFN summed it up for me, a serious injury to someone attending due to the infamous straight road being used as a raceway and I believe an incident of violence occured in some way!? It puts me off taking my car out and attending some events hence why I find with MSOC the events are well organised, attract the right people and give you that satisfaction that your in a good club with the right enthuaists!

Hi,

we have seen the customer demograph change dramatically over the last few years and its mainly down to some old tatty classics being sold for around £1000.00

I hate to say it but at that level the owners tend not to realise what they have just bought into, its a fast car that needs decent fuel, plenty of it and proper maintenance.

Its the maintenance side of the car that gets us bad press on social media, not the job itself but the price, we are deemed expensive, likened to as "Dick Turpin",

We are not expensive and certainly not robbers, we do the job right with the right parts, tried and tested on our race cars, but when an owner of a £1000.00 Impreza turbo is told an oil and filter change using fully synthetic race oil and genuine filter with new sump washer is £139.99 + vat including labour they generally react with "that’s f***in ridicules,  my mates just has his done at *%^*$%*& scoobies for 50 sheets, rip off bas***ds".

Of course we see many classics that are loved by their owners and are serviced & maintained on a regular basis, these are destined to go up in value whereas the tired old sub £1500.00 cars are destined for one place only, the scrap yard.

Same thing happened back in the day with XR3's, and it showed in the meets and car shows back then as it is doing now with the Subaru's I hate to say.

Lets not forget though the fresh crop of cars are bringing in new enthusiastic owners to the scene so its far from dead yet.

Kev

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:24 PM, Steve said:

I would say that shows like Japfest are dying. The current dribble dished up by Keksey Media is appalling compared to a few years ago and hence why I've strayed away from them . 

The M-SOC Monthly meet does need a kick up the backside, but that also relies on members attending. Easy to plan in your diary as it's always on the first Sunday of the month

Rally Day is has been a well attended event by club members as it is again this year, with strong emphasis on the evening before with a great social. You should try it 

I honestly prefer our own yearly club event at Curborough. Again well attended and lots to see and do. Plus it's all in OUR control and is a fraction of the cost of attending the dull Japanese shows where the organisers just want your money with little or nothing in return 

ok the Euro Tour isn't the cheapest to do, but those that have been have commented on it being a memorable experience. Maybe we should try a UK based tour to keep costs down a bit in the future 

if you look closely, the club does get invited to one or two more exclusive events. Did you see the 20 year celebration of Group A Imprezas at Prodrive ? Another very well attended event with 20+ rare Group A cars together ? 

The list goes on, so my advice is to stop getting drawn into the so called 'big' static shows and have a look around you to see what is happening elsewhere 

See you at Curborough next Sunday @Damo ????

cheers 

Steve 

I for one will try and go on the Euro trip every year, you get to drive these cars they way they deserve to be driven and the social side is well what can I say  ''a very memorable experience indeed'' ..............:cheers2: :D:D,  wouldn't you say so @Steve....:p:p

1 hour ago, hughy said:

I for one will try and go on the Euro trip every year, you get to drive these cars they way they deserve to be driven and the social side is well what can I say  ''a very memorable experience indeed'' ..............:cheers2: :D:D,  wouldn't you say so @Steve....:p:p

Yes I would Hugh :) 

IMG_0361.JPGIMG_0361.JPG

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:47 PM, The Gaffer said:

Hi,

Kev

Couldn't agree more, I think that's why track days are more popular than ever nowadays.

The amount of cars that are not track prepped cars is starting to take over the track monsters on the more relaxed / cheaper days.

I don't like taking the P1 out on the road as much now, that's why it is SORN, you cant use the power and like you said get stuck in traffic or bad road conditions.

I bought the Clio to get the taste of speed back and thoroughly enjoy thrashing it round the track, far more than I would the Scoob as there is no worry,

Hi,

yes track days are becoming ever popular due to the above and other reasons like the amount of crap drivers on the road, cocooned in their metal womb, music on and totally unaware of their surroundings, not at all 1 with the car,

I recently had to go on a speed awareness course due to being caught doing a massive 37 MPH in a 30 limit, it was a 40MPH road last time I was on it but I broke the law so had to attend the speed awareness course.

Like everyone else who was on the course no one wanted to be there, it actually did prove interesting, far to drawn out, 4 hours which could easily have been condensed into 1 maybe 2 hours but I did come away from the course with a refreshed attitude to road use and road manners, the latter of which I have always had due to being taught to drive by my dad who was a HGV driver but old school, proper Knight of the road.

It made me more aware of the idiot drivers, some flying over speed humps with no respect for their suspension, some passing schools in the morning when the kids are going in at 40 MPH or more and are usually the very women who park anywhere and anyhow outside the school, then speed off after dropping their little darlings off.

Sorry if its a bit off topic but the very fact that driving has become a pain in the backside, too many fun spoiling features now adorn our roads, most sensible drivers find a comfy speed and drive within the limits of the road and the area, we don’t need policing yet we are, I may sell my toy and just rumble about in my old legacy, hence show numbers are down and the shows themselves are no longer run by car enthusiasts, its all about money and that’s where its lost its soul.

Kev

On 09/07/2017 at 1:09 PM, Damo said:

I tried finding you on Facebook but couldn't can you add me donna greenhouse about indoor japshow in August we have 4 spots if anyone on here wants to join it's £20 for your spot and ticket 

2 hours ago, john said:

Sadly i remember as a highlight of the week going out for a spin in the car on a sunday afternoon.

Hi John,

exactly my point, now we are worried about speed cameras, speed humps and all other manner of driving pleasure killers.

I remember back in the day enjoying the drive from Chesterfield to Skegness, lovely long, sweeping roads where you could safely have a bit of fun, at the time my car was a triumph TR7 so not the fastest of things but fun nevertheless, now that very route is covered from end to end with speed cameras and  average speed cameras, no fun at all.

People may think I am just wanting to break the law, that’s not the case at all just want a bit of freedom,

A certain road in Chesterfield is a very wide road big enough to be a dual carriageway but it carries a 30 MPH limit due to houses, yet a bit further on the road narrows considerably and yet it becomes a 40 MPH and its just as built up, go figure.

This has to have an effect on people getting their cars out and going to a car show, it certainly has affected my decisions to go for a run out, being at work 7 days a week I had no idea how bad it was out there until I decided to treat myself to a toy and go for a Sunday afternoon drive, little pleasure at all, in fact I got more pleasure from polishing the car.

Kev

On 10/07/2017 at 0:54 PM, The Gaffer said:

Hi,

we have seen the customer demograph change dramatically over the last few years and its mainly down to some old tatty classics being sold for around £1000.00

I hate to say it but at that level the owners tend not to realise what they have just bought into, its a fast car that needs decent fuel, plenty of it and proper maintenance.

Its the maintenance side of the car that gets us bad press on social media, not the job itself but the price, we are deemed expensive, likened to as "Dick Turpin",

We are not expensive and certainly not robbers, we do the job right with the right parts, tried and tested on our race cars, but when an owner of a £1000.00 Impreza turbo is told an oil and filter change using fully synthetic race oil and genuine filter with new sump washer is £139.99 + vat including labour they generally react with "that’s f***in ridicules,  my mates just has his done at *%^*$%*& scoobies for 50 sheets, rip off bas***ds".

Of course we see many classics that are loved by their owners and are serviced & maintained on a regular basis, these are destined to go up in value whereas the tired old sub £1500.00 cars are destined for one place only, the scrap yard.

Same thing happened back in the day with XR3's, and it showed in the meets and car shows back then as it is doing now with the Subaru's I hate to say.

Lets not forget though the fresh crop of cars are bringing in new enthusiastic owners to the scene so its far from dead yet.

Kev

I know exactly where your coming from after nearly 20 years in the trade how things have changed. Also how many big bodyshops and garages in stoke have gone under. With insurance companies dictating labour and parts discount, joe bloggs motors using cheap filters and low quality oil. People forget they are paying for your experience to and you have overheads to pay. 

HI,

sooooooo true,

Yesterday a guy popped in with a MY2000 classic UK car he had paid £1500.00 for, rotten wheel arches, several shades of silver, trims missing, windscreen aperture rusty all round possibly if he reversed fast he would lose the screen, he ask was to make it the fastest scooby around.

I explained this was not the right car to "make the fastest scoob around" telling him what’s involved, he then dismissed that and went on to say he wanted a colour change to blue and full Subaru graphics, I explained the car would need new rear arches and inner arches, then a full strip down, all the minor dents sorting etc etc before we could consider applying any paint whatever colour and pointed out the door shuts, boot shuts and under bonnet would need sorting too,

Asking how much I again said it was the wrong base to throw money at but he insisted on a price which I said £5 to £6 K , gobsmacked he said he had a quote from a body shop of £800.00 all done cash !!

So its not just the servicing side, its also body work that has scummed to these ridiculously low prices from "bloke down t'road"

We have recently seen it enter the tuning side too, people coming to customers houses, carrying out a re map on the road for £250.00, a few weeks in customer ends up here as he thought the car felt quick after the map but now it feels just the same as pre mapping, yes you got it the "placebo effect".

After the so called map the car felt quick as the mind convinced the customer it was, then reality kicks in and the car ends up on our dyno, its standard, no mapping carried out at all, and what’s more £250.00 out of pocket which could have gone towards a real re map.

Where will this end

kev

£800 lol lots of cag and orange peel then.

Cant believe the mapping tho thats insane.

Ive contacted 7 or 8 breakers after various parts 2 got back to me( dont the rest want the business) ! I bought off both one sent a turbo the next day with zero problems the other im still waiting for the part a week later. Who will be getting my future business i wonder?