M-SOC

New member from Walsall / Bham

aaron1987

Hi guys. My names Aaron and I live in Walsall and work in Birmingham. 

Its good to see there's a site a site dedicated to us midlanders and from what ive read a very friendly one too :)

I have a UK 2004 blob WRX that ive had for about 9 months that I bought bone stock and now im finally starting to get a few jobs done on it (due to work and family always keeping me busy and on my toes lol)

At the minute its pretty stock power wise just a back box and panel filter. But i have a whole garage full of bits going on in the new year along with a remap. :) ported headers, harvey up pipe etc etc.

I have fitted tein street springs, 22mm rear roll bar, godspeed big brakes up front, braided lines, revo 17"millenium wheels, rear STI spoiler, STI front winglets, blacked front lights, rear diffuser... think thats about it for now really but plenty more to come.

Previously had a couple of classics and dare i say it an Evo, but found myself leaning back towards the Impreza.

Would be awesome to come to a few meets in the near future :)

Anyway Im going to try and add a few pics see if it works.

Aaron.

Lets see if that works as im not the best at online techy stuff lol.

temporary_142.jpgtemporary_148.jpgtemporary_140.jpg

temporary_141.jpg

They were taken before the front brakes went on and back suspension fitted. Also has a zunsport front grill and I have the v-limited splitter to go back on to the front once the builders have finished the road i live on. we live on a new estate and the roads literally a buildng stie right now. you get the general idea though lol.

Aaron.

Welcome to m-soc @aaron1987 

car looks great. 

Check out the social section for details of club events. In the Past meets section, you will find out most of what we have been upto this year including our very own annual event at Curborough Sprint Circuit. 

Dont forget the added benefits to our subscribing club supporters which can be bought for just £15 a year, opening up another section on the forum that you can't currently see with a whole host of additional benefits (discount codes with suppliers) available. :thumb: 

Hi and welcome to M-SOC, car looks great ??, I would recommend to take advantage of the club discount codes by becoming a fully paid member, its only £15 per year and you could save that with one purchase with the club discounts, hope to see you at a few meets in the New Year ??

Hughy

Morning guys.

Thanks for the warm replies.

I'll be joining up soon and will probably see you all in the new year once the weathers a little better at my first meet :)

Looking forward to it and especially the track and RR events!

Who do i need to speak to to get a couple of decals ordered guys?

Aaron.

P.S just noticed it wont let me post anymore is that because i'm not a fully paid member then. cheers.

Edited by aaron1987
Additional text.

13 hours ago, aaron1987 said:

Morning guys.

Thanks for the warm replies.

I'll be joining up soon and will probably see you all in the new year once the weathers a little better at my first meet :)

Looking forward to it and especially the track and RR events!

Who do i need to speak to to get a couple of decals ordered guys?

Aaron.

P.S just noticed it wont let me post anymore is that because i'm not a fully paid member then. cheers.

It should allow you to post 4 times within each 24 hour rolling period 

I have stickers, so send me a PM @aaron1987 and I can sort those out for you :thumb: 

Hi Kev.

I will be looking into having a full cam belt/ idler& pulley kit, water pump, engine/box/diff oil change in the new year for peace of mind before I start looking into bigger horsepower so I will be in touch.

what's the score with oil pumps on these aren't they recommended to be changed as well as the water pump at the same time?

Looking forward to meeting you guys at a meet early next year.

Aaron.

Hi,

Urban myth both with oil pumps and water pumps.

Seems somewhere on a forum, some one decided these engines use the water pump as the cam belt tensioner, some other non Subarus do, and when you move the water pump to tension the belt it will leak so replacement is advised on those cars but not the case on a Subaru engine.

Water pumps are checked for play &  noisy bearings and leaks, if they are fine no need to waste your money replacing it, we find the odd one which accounts for maybe as little as 1% of water pumps require replacement.

Oil pumps don’t even enter the equation when doing a cam belt, unless the oil seat at the front of the crank is leaking then we replace the seal which is just £10.00.

There you go, lesson number 1 on your Subaru,

Let me know if and when you wish to book in and meet the team

many thanks

Kev

lesson number 2.........

we have noticed a lot of newbies joining forums and facbook and I may be repeating myself but for the sake of all newbies please read and take notice, this is fact.............

We have become concerned about the fuel certain Subaru owners are using or have been told they can use.
Many times we have had people arrive for a power run / diagnosis as they feel their cars are under performing.

Mostly it's because the new owner has been told by the previous owner / seller that the car can run on any fuel  (this is usually because they don't want to put you off buying the car as it should run the more expensive fuel),

These cars are like thoroughbred race horses, feed them good corn and they will perform, feed them cheap crap and they will get flabby and stop performing.

No matter what anyone tells you, you MUST run these cars on either shell V power or tesco's 99 Octane, if you are stuck in a position that you cannot find a petrol station that sells proper fuel, i.e . you are on holiday or in unfamiliar territory,  then put a small amount of the best stuff you can find in the tank but keep off the loud pedal until you can top up with V power or 99 octane.

We have seen many engines ruined by people not knowing and just filling up with any old fuel, the dyno shows them up all the time, we find many on rolling road days, some to late.

It makes no sense to run on cheap stuff, the high octane fuels are more expensive,  but they are also more efficient with the cars performing better, safer and returning much better MPG.

One case on the dyno recently we could not get a de-catted but standard STI 8 over 300 BHP, they normally do 330 ish but this one wouldn't, we asked the owner what fuel was in the car, he insisted it was V power, we carried on but the car just detonated its tits off, eventually I asked if we could drain the tank and put 20 ltrs of fresh V power in stating that if it didn't work there would be no charge for the fuel or the labour involved, win win for the customer so we went ahead.

Once drained and the 20 ltrs of V power added the car started to behave, it took more ignition advance and more boost, easily shooting up to 330BHP with a little more mapping we extracted 340BHP.

Happy customer who then rang his wife to see what fuel she had put in the car, she insisted it was V power, when he asked her what garage she got it from she told him it was from the BP garage down the road, she couldn't be bothered to go the extra few miles to the shell station so she bought the "V" power from BP, he explained that "V" power is a shell product and not available from BP !!

Speaking to a petro chemist who works for shell he told me that shell V power is like a good scotch whiskey, its a blend unlike the Tesco stuff that is normal fuel with octane booster added to get it to 99 ron, how true that is I don't know but we find little difference between the two on the dyno when mapping, they both work extremely well.

Newbies, and old sages too, remember Please make sure that you run the car on V power or tescos 99 as other fuels are not good enough for your thorough bred race horse, feed it good corn and it will perform, feed it rubbish it will get flabby, stop performing and eventually fall ill.

Kev

This is something I have always done religiously ever since having my first Impreza mapped on v-power. But like you say people who are naive to it will just chuck in anything to try and save a few pennies without thinking about the major cost it will eventually incur. I think alot of people see the more expensive fuels as a gimmick and think if the engines running on the cheaper stuff what harm can it be doing?! Myself included years back! Thankfully due to me wanting to learn more about the cars I've owned along with plenty of research on forums etc, I learned the basics pretty quickly.

But the water pump and oil pump info is very good to know thanks, and something that can be inspected during the belt change rather then being needlessly replaced.

And thanks matty_typeuk :)

Aaron.